Understanding Your Insurance Quote – Vermont Mutual Dwelling Fire

Alt Text

Introducing Your Carrier

Chartered in 1828, the Vermont Mutual Insurance Company is one of the 10 oldest mutual property/casualty insurers in the United States.

Alt Text

Introducing Your Carrier

Chartered in 1828, the Vermont Mutual Insurance Company is one of the 10 oldest mutual property/casualty insurers in the United States.

Deluxe versus Standard Coverages

What’s the difference?


Most of our carriers offer a value-added insurance package that we call our “deluxe” option. This insurance package includes some extra coverages that you would have to add manually to a standard option.

Watch our video to learn more about the differences between these options, or check out the chart below.


Deluxe Insurance Package

Standard Insurance Package

Coverage to rebuild the structure of your home.



Other Structures

Coverage for structures such as fences, sheds, and garages. Equal to 10% of dwelling.



Personal Property

Coverage to repair or replace your belongings. This includes your electronics, furniture, clothing, jewelry, and much more.



Loss of Use

Pays for tenants to live elsewhere in case of a fire, etc. This money can be used for tenants to live somewhere while it is under construction due to a covered claim, along with rental income. Equal to 10% of dwelling amount. 



Personal Liability

Coverage in case you are held responsible for bodily injury or property damage. This includes payments for medical bills, legal representation, and other legal fees.



Water Backup
Coverage for damages that stem from water backup due to a clogged drain, sewer, or a faulty sump pump.


Not Included

Personal Injury

Helps protect you against personal offense allegations.


Not Included

Dwelling coverage for both packages is based on Replacement Cost. This value is the estimated amount it would cost to rebuild your home. 

Personal Liability Coverage protects you in case someone slips and falls, or other bodily injury claim arising from your home. Both standard and deluxe options offer $500,000 of coverage.

Frequently Asked Questions

In the event of an insurance claim, the deductible is the amount that a policyholder must pay before the insurance company begins to pay.

We recommend that you choose the highest deductible that you can afford out of pocket. Having a higher deductible can save you money on your policy and can alleviate the need to file small claims.

Note: Some quotes will include a separate, higher deductible for hurricane damage and/or windstorm damage to your home. Typically, this deductible is a percentage of the dwelling coverage. For instance, if your dwelling coverage is $200,000 and you have a 2% hurricane deductible, you would be subject to a deductible of $4,000 in the event your home was damaged by a hurricane. For more information, ask your sales representative for more information.

Learn More About Deductibles!

When it comes to paying your home insurance, you may have some options available to you. The most common way your home insurance may be paid is through an escrow account, which comes out of your mortgage payment. With an escrow account, your home insurance is often included in your closing costs.

As well, you may be able to pay your insurance directly in monthly or yearly installments.

Click here to learn more about escrow accounts and other payment options.

You’re probably familiar with a home’s market value. But when it comes to insurance, a home’s rebuild value is much more important.

A home’s rebuild value includes the costs for all the materials and labor to replace your home. On the other hand, market value is based on buyer perceptions of what a property is worth. This factors in the location, the land, and the home’s proximity to desirable places. These factors don’t necessarily impact a home’s rebuild value.

Learn more about market value vs. rebuild value.

Carriers reserve the right to choose which liability risks they are willing to take. Because of this, certain carriers will not insure you if you own a certain dog breed.

The good news is that as an independent insurance agency, we can find you the right fit for your budget and your furry friend.

Learn More!

Truthfully, an insurance policy is not designed to protect you from problems that stem from wear and tear, structural problems, maintenance issues, or other problems not discovered during a home inspection. Insurance typically only covers issues that stem from sudden and accidental damages.

On the other hand, a home warranty is designed to protect you from these expected maintenance problems and normal wear and tear.

Together, home systems protection and a home warranty can protect you from both expected and unexpected damages that may occur in your home.

Learn More!

Here’s a list of some of the most common causes of loss that your home insurance covers.

  • Windstorm and hail
  • Explosion
  • Riot and civil commotion
  • Impact from aircraft
  • Impact from vehicles
  • Smoke
  • Vandalism and malicious mischief
  • Theft
  • Falling objects
  • Weight of ice and snow
  • Glass breakage
  • Accidental electrical damage to appliances (caused by power surge)
  • Water damage caused by spontaneous burst pipe or appliance overflow.
  • Frozen plumbing

Here are some common causes of loss that are not covered by a standard home insurance policy.

  • Flooding – Requires a separate insurance policy.
  • Water backup – Requires a home insurance endorsement
  • Service lines – Requires a home insurance endorsement
  • Earthquakes
  • Termites, rats, bed bugs, infestations
  • Mold
  • Sinkholes
  • Maintenance issues
  • Intentional damage
  • Any damage to vacant homes (30 to 60 days)

A Note About Home Insurance Inspections

Every insurance company holds the right to inspect your home after the policy is issued. They may call, or they may stop by to do an interior or exterior only safety inspection of the property.

If there are any safety concerns, home improvement needs, extensive renovations, or issues with vacancy over 30 days, we’ll address them after the inspection.

Click here to learn more about what to expect from a home insurance inspection.

Supplement Your Home Insurance

Alt Text

Ask your agent about these ways to maximize your coverage – and savings!

  • Flood Insurance

    Protects you from property damage caused by floods. Regardless of how close you live to a flood zone, you may still be at risk of unexpected flooding.

  • Umbrella Insurance

    Protects you from claims that extend beyond the liability coverage limits of your home, auto, renters, boat, or other personal liability policies.

  • Home & Auto Bundle

    Sometimes the best way to save on your home and auto insurance is to bundle them together.

  • Personal Property Floater

    Covers items valued over $2,500. For example, a $10,000 engagement ring would need to be "scheduled" to your policy in order to get full coverage.

Want to save this information for your records?

View as PDF