- On June 22, 2021
In this article, we’ll describe service line coverage: what it is, why it’s important, and how it can protect the service lines beneath your property from sudden damage.
- Service Line coverage is an endorsement some insurance carriers offer. It helps protect the water lines, gas pipes, and electrical wires that run beneath your property.
- Service line coverage does not cover damages to sewer systems, water wells, and pipes and wires that run through a body of water,
When you think of home insurance, you imagine that anything that you own on your property would be covered. But really, most policy contracts exclude anything outside the borders of your home structures.
This means that the underground service lines that run from your home to the street are typically not covered on a standard home insurance policy. These lines include all the water pipes, gas pipes, and electrical wires that run under your property. Damage to these lines, while rare, can be costly.
For scenarios like this, there’s service line coverage.
What is Service Line Coverage?
Service line coverage is an endorsement offered by many insurance providers. This means it is an optional coverage that can be added to your homeowners insurance. This endorsement can cover the excavation and replacement of an underground service line. As well, it may also cover expediting expenses, loss of use, and additional living expenses.
Utilities usually covered by service line coverage include:
- Water Lines, such as water pipes, drainpipes, and sprinkler pipes
- Sewer pipes
- Power Lines and electrical wiring
- Communication wiring, such as internet, cable, and fiber optics
- Gas lines
What is not covered by service line coverage?
As with most insurance policies, service line coverage has several exclusions. For instance, service line coverage typically excludes:
- Damage to a well
- Damage to septic systems
- Piping or wiring that runs through a body of water or through a building
- Damage to and replacement of water wells and pumps
- Relocating wiring and piping
- Piping or wiring that is not ready for use
How much does service line coverage cost?
Service line coverages normally go from $20 to $50 a year. This usually covers anywhere from $10000 to $25000 in expenses.
Is service line coverage right for you?
Overall, service line coverage is a cost-effective way to protect your home and your investments. Not only does it combine the coverages of several service plans, but it saves you the headache of costly utility damages not typically covered by a standard homeowner’s policy.
We hope we’ve helped you better understand service line coverage. And now we’d like to turn it over to you. Did you learn something new from this article? Or do have a question about your homeowners policy? Leave a comment below or contact us at email@example.com.